Thursday, September 5, 2013

Template Decisions

I thought that this would be a fast and easy decision! Little did I know where it was going to lead me - into the world of template decisions....

The decision for the choice of a template for a blog must involve many different facets. Decidedly, it must be very attractive to people so they will want to remain on to read your blog. To that end, it must be user-friendly and easy to read. It must also reflect the personality of the blogger and represent the message that they are conveying. It should not conflict with their brand.

I like black and grey for a background. Am  I depressed? I don't think so. However I can be very dramatic! These colors (is black a color or a non-color or all colors combined? Hmm, I should have studied harder in art class....!) provide a dramatic backdrop for the white, lighter grey, and orange script. This stark contrast provides the easy readability for the viewer and will hopefully entice them to peruse my blog.

The white and dark blue around the edges prevent the page from being too dark.The blue allows the tags at the top to be easily read.

The hazy, unfocused mountains in the background (they also remind me of clouds) and the in-focus closer impression of raindrops on a window give me a feeling of being warm and cozy, lying on a couch inside on a cold winter's day. It also gives me a feeling of having traveled somewhere. And traveling is always good....

Template decisions - an interesting world.....

7 comments:

  1. Alexandra, thanks for the heads up on my botched blog url :-) I think I got it now.

    I like bold colors, but I don't like reading reverse text (white text on black background). For me it's a bit of an eye strain, but I'm a bit older so maybe that's the deal. Nice to meet you. N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice to meet you, Nathan. Thanks for your comments. Yes, I am also a bit older. Man, where did the time go? My husband also said that he did not like reading white on black - maybe a male thing? For me, who wears glasses, this contrast helps. However, it is about my audience, not about me.
      Alex

      Delete
  2. Alexandra, thanks for the heads up on my botched blog url :-) I think I got it now.

    I like bold colors, but I don't like reading reverse text (white text on black background). For me it's a bit of an eye strain, but I'm a bit older so maybe that's the deal. Nice to meet you. N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems to be a popular choice I like it. It was hard to chose one there wasn't many options but I think you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexandra, what great descriptions on the social media platforms. Also, like your thoughts on the template you used. I must agree that my background is dark so using white font that is harder to read, so I tried to "bold" it to see if that will help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dee Marie,
    I zoomed across to your blog to see your changes. I like it!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete