Thursday, September 12, 2013

Not Being Wined by Business

Doesn't it annoy you when you patronize a business and give them your hard earned money and all they give you in return is a bad experience?

A few months ago on a Saturday evening, a group of friends and I went to Fish Public, a restaurant in Kensington. It was about 2 weeks after the restaurant had opened. We had all heard good reports and were eagerly anticipating the experience. We are a bunch of Foodies - we like to eat and drink good food and wine. We were seated and served by a waiter who was very knowledgeable about the food selection. He offered good recommendations. The food was fairly tasty. So far so good - no problems.

Unfortunately, the wine service was another world. There appeared to be a separate wine staff. Problems began early and never ceased....
Firstly, a couple of us had brought bottles of wine. When our first wine waiter, a young woman, opened the bottle that I had brought (which was in front of me) she offered the taste of the wine to the man sitting next to me. Not a big mistake but ... I corrected her,  and tasted the wine. No big deal.
Secondly, when we ordered bottles of wine from the wine list, we found that the wine staff did not know the wine list very well. The wine list was not long or complicated. Why have a designated wine staff if they are not trained?
However, the biggest mistake occurred with the last bottle ordered for the evening - a Italian red wine, a Barbera, not that expensive. One of the guys at the table had tasted it and said it was OK, that there were no flaws. The wine was poured. However, when I tasted the wine, I noted that it was 'corked', affected by TCA. I called the wine waiter over and told him this.He disappeared, ostensibly to get another bottle....
Alas, that was not the case. A gentleman in a suit appeared at the table ( we had never seen this person before) and proceeded to tell me, without smelling or tasting the wine, that I was wrong! that there was nothing wrong with the wine, it was just a cheaper Italian wine, and a new bottle would taste exactly the same, that I just did not know what to expect! (I am very surprised that he did not add "since you are a woman"). The problem with that statement was 1) the wine WAS corked, very evident of TCA 2) he never smelled nor tasted the wine to assess it himself, and 3) THIS woman IS trained in the sensory evaluation of wine and its defects (I studied winemaking at UC Davis). I had the very strong impression that this gentleman saw a middle-aged, glasses-wearing woman and made the very old-fashioned assumption that women do not know anything about wine! Bizarre! He also never introduced himself - I gather he was the wine manager. He strongly suggested that we should choose another wine, that he knew that the 'defect' was just a property of that wine. I was adamant in asking him to bring the same wine again. Not once did he taste the wine. Incredible! Finally he gave in and huffily brought another bottle of the same wine. Quel surprise! This bottle was TOTALLY DIFFERENT in taste and smell! and not corked. He never apologized or did anything to help make up for the bad experience.

So what does a person do these days with bad service but Yelp their displeasure..... However, I was a social media novice then.... so no Yelping, no Facebook comments, no tweeting, nada!

What DID I do? I did the old-fashioned thing -  I bitched and moaned in person to all the friends I could reach about my bad experience!

This dated approach was not as effective perhaps as social media because it did not reach so  many people and it also did not allow the restaurant owner to address the problem. But it still allowed me to vent and feel better.

So what if I had Yelped? What would their response have been? Would they have responded at all? Hopefully they would have addressed the issue and resolved it in some positive way.
However, I am not at all sure because my husband had previously experienced problems with wine knowledge and rude, untrained wine staff at their sister restaurant, Cucina Urbana.

So who knows, would using social media have made someone listen?? Maybe I should write a review now and see what happens?? What do you think??


6 comments:

  1. I absolutely think that you should rate them on Yelp! I know a LOT of people that check Yelp before going to a restaurant, myself included! If I had read that on Yelp, there is no way I would have gone to that restaurant! Additionally, it might save a lot of people from having the same experience!

    I once had a large birthday party at a Buca di Beppo in Chicago and had similar issues. My husband wrote to the VP and got a response - 2 $50 gift cards. We went to a DIFFERENT Buca in the same city had a fantastic time and then went to pay with the gift cards. One of the cards had $25 (ok, no biggie, maybe we read the letter wrong). The second card had 99 cents..... The management at this restaurant was significantly better and gave us coupons in compensation....that we couldn't use until the next month! We shook our heads and took our business elsewhere. After that, my friends came out of the wood work to tell me how bad that particular restaurant is! We didn't have Yelp when that occured but you can believe I would have written one hell of a review if it had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cynthia, for that insight. I also have heard not great things about Buca di Beppo here in San Diego - makes me wonder how this chain stays in business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think review writing is the way to go. Try it out on Google places and Facebook. It goes a long way when others are looking to try something new and they see a bad review. Call they management and let them know it's up so they know exactly why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gracie. Interesting suggestion about calling the management to notify re my poor review post.

      Delete
  4. Alexandra, I agree with the other's that yelp is great place to hold business accountable. That said, I believe it's always best to first give the business a chance to solve it while I'm there. If not, then I try to remember names and then put it on yelp, and make my comments specific about their service or product, and what could be improved. I've found that co's are more likely to respond favorably when the review is constructive as opposed to just a negative rant. Go get em! N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nate. I definitely believe that it is better to give a business the chance to fix things while I am there. I also agree that a constructive rather than destructive criticism/review leads to a greater chance for improvement.
      Alex

      Delete